Monday, August 17, 2009

ICTY

Again, my apologies for the light posting, especially in the later part of the summer. Unfortunately, my dog had to be put down a few days after the bar exam... he was 16 years old and had cancer, but it was still very difficult.

I am finally back on track and getting ready for what's next. In September, I will be starting an internship with the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY)in the Hague! I will be working for the Office of the President for about 3 months.

I've been reading up on the Yugoslav wars. I read Zlata's Diary, which is a young girl's firsthand account of how life in Sarajevo changed forever. I'm now reading Emir Suljagic's Postcards from the Grave, which recounts how the author escaped from Srebrenica.

This afternoon, I happened to catch Michele Martin's interview with Bosnian-born author Aleksandar Hemon about his book, Love and Obstacles. The book is a collection of short stories that draws on Hemon's experience in Sarajevo. I'm thinking about adding this to my list, if I have any time left before I leave!

I will be posting about my experiences at the ICTY on this blog, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment