Friday, June 12, 2009

"Enfants Mauvais Souvenirs"


Slate has an article and slideshow on images by photojournalist Jonathan Torgovnik's of children born of rape during the Rwandan genocide. An estimated 20,000 children were born to Tutsi women who were systematically raped and forced into sexual servitude by members of Hutu militia groups. Torgovnik's images and the testimonies he collected are published in his book "Intended Consequences: Rwandan Children Born of Rape."

The testimonies do not make for easy reading. More than half of the women Torgovnik interviewed are HIV-positive. Most live in dire poverty, ostracized by their own families and communities because of the stigmas attached to rape and AIDS. In Rwanda, a heavily patriarchal society, children of wartime rape are perceived as belonging to the enemy. As Josette, the mother of Thomas, recalls, "My uncle didn't welcome me into his house. He asked me who was responsible for my pregnancy. I said if I am pregnant, then it must be the militias since many of them had raped me. He said I shouldn't enter his house carrying a baby of the Hutus and chased me away. I left, but I didn't know where to go. Later, my uncle told me that I could only enter his house if I agreed to throw away the child."

The women discuss their own feelings about their children with heartbreaking candor. Some confess their inability to feel love or affection for children who are living reminders of the terrible ordeals they endured. Others say that their children are their only source of hope and consolation, that without them they wouldn't have the will to survive. Their stories are stark dramas of evil and innocence, brought to life with horrific specificity.

(Image: "Odette with her son, Martin," Intended Consequences: Rwandan Children Born of Rape, photographs and interviews by Jonathan Torgovnik (Aperture, 2008). From the Slate alideshow.)

No comments:

Post a Comment