Thursday, April 30, 2009

Obama Uses the "T-Word"

At last night's press conference, President Obama said the practice of waterboarding is torture.

"What I have said, and I will repeat, is that waterboarding violates our ideals and our values," Mr. Obama said. "I do believe that it is torture. I do not think that is just my opinion; that is the opinion of many who have examined the topic. And that is why I put an end to these practices."


President Obama also referred to a post by Andrew Sullivan titled "Churchill vs. Cheney." He said:

"I was struck by an article that I was reading the other day talking about the fact that the British during World War II, when London was being bombed to smithereens, had 200 or so detainees. And Churchill said, 'We don't torture,' when the entire British -- all of the British people were being subjected to unimaginable risk and threat."


Sullivan re-posted it today. A quote:

"As Britain's very survival hung in the balance, as women and children were being killed on a daily basis and London turned into rubble, Churchill nonetheless knew that embracing torture was the equivalent of surrender to the barbarism he was fighting."

No comments:

Post a Comment